I like to personally light up some candles sometimes, because a) it makes my room smell really good, and b) well… my room just smells great. I typically go for the lavender scented candles because not only am I fond of the scent, but I’ve seen enough ads, and been told to know that lavender is supposed to soothe and calm you.
And they’re right.
Well, to a certain extent, because aromatherapy does so much more than just calm you. Aromatherapy is practiced by your olfactory senses in part with essential oils. These essential oils can be used within a massage, baths, candles and can be taken internally on rare occasions. According to an article from TLC.com “Almost all essential oils have antiseptic properties and are able to fight infection and destroy bacteria, fungi, yeast, parasites, and/or viruses” (Keville). These oils reduce have the ability to reduce pain, and are able to soothe inflammations as well.
Essential oils are distilled liquids from parts of a plant; leaves, stem, roots or petals. All oils have different effects, and there are several oils that can benefit one’s health. For example, here’s a comprehensive look at what a few of these oils can help you with (Utegaard).
In an article published online by the NYU Medical Center, they listed a few cases where aromatherapy was proven to be successful. Inhaling the essential oils was a success when it came to Alzheimer’s Disease, that showed how aromatherapy might be used to calm people with that or some sort of dementia. In the study, a hospital ward was saturated with the smell of lavender oil or water for 2hrs. Then an investigator that was not aware of the study going on, went into the hospital to evaluate the 15 residents with dementia. The results from that study showed that particular aromatherapy “decreased agitated behavior” (NYU, 2011).
Inhalation of Essential Oils
The same NYU article goes on to list and describe how other essential oils seem to be a natural remedy. For instance, peppermint oil is not only supposed to relieve post surgical nausea and get rid of mucus congestion when inhaled, but evidence also points out (albeit weak) that if the oil is applied to the forehead, then it has the power to relieve tension headaches.
As mentioned, essential oils can also be taken orally, and most of us may already have taken it, we just don’t know it. Eucalyptus is a standard ingredient in cough drops and cough syrups, as the oil seems to help mainly with respiratory problems. The NYU Medical Center website states that “In a double-blind trial, 32 people on steroids to control severe asthma (steroid-dependent asthma) were given either placebo or essential oil of eucalyptus for 12 weeks. 42 The results showed that people using eucalyptus were able to gradually reduce their steroid dosage to a greater extent than those taking placebo. In another study, eucalyptus oil proved helpful for the treatment of "head cold" symptoms (technically, nonpurulent rhinosinusitis). 47 In this double-blind, placebo-controlled study of 152 people, use of cineole at a dose of 200 mg three times daily markedly improved cold symptoms as compared to placebo” (NYU, 2011).
Anxiety & Depression
The majority of over-the-counter products that are related to aromatherapy claim that smelling their scent will realx, calm and soothe you. More often than not, the product in question is infused with lavender. But does it really work? Would the lotion on the right “melt away your stress”? After all, that is the most common perception that people have regarding aromatherapy.
It of course is not as easy as what these companies tell us. Fragrances DO have effect on us, but not all cases are the same. These scents are more effective on people who might have mild forms of depression and are not on prescriptions, or they are trying to get off their drugs (Keville).
In order to show that aromatherapy does effect your levels of stress and anxiety, here are a few quick facts from case studies:
•340 dental patients were assessed while they waited for their appointment. Those smelled lavender felt less anxious levels than the control group. (NYU, 2011)
•In regards to massages, the group that had them with essential oils had short term benefits of relaxation in regards to their depression. (NYU, 2011)
•“Silexan is a capsule that contains a preparation of lavender oil. Two hundred and twenty-one adults diagnosed with having an anxiety disorder were randomized to receive 80 mg a day of silexan or placebo for 10 weeks. 65 Those who were in the treatment group had a reduction in their anxiety, slept better, and did not have any unwanted side effects compared to those receiving the placebo” (NYU, 2011)
Arthritis
The National Center for Biotechnology Information published a study in 2005 titled “The effects of aromatherapy on pain, depression, and life satisfaction of arthritis patients”. In this study, their purpose was to see what effects aromatherapy had on these patients who had arthritis. They had 40 patients in South Korea, and the essential oils they used were lavender, marjoram, eucalyptus, rosemary, and peppermint mixed with a carrier oil. The results showed that aromatherapy notably decreased the patient’s pain score and depression score compared to the control group, but it must be noted that aromatherapy did not decrease their satisfaction in life compared to the control group. In conclusion, the sudy proved that aromatherapy does have effects on the decreasing of pain and depression levels. (Kim, 2005).
References
"Aromatherapy." Aromatherapy. NYU Medical Center, Aug. 2011. Web. 25 May 2012.
Keville, Kathy. "Aromatherapy Information." TLC. Web. 28 May 2012.
Kim, MJ, ES Nam, and SI Paik. "The Effects of Aromatherapy on Pain, Depression, and Life Satisfaction of Arthritis Patients." National Center for Biotechnology Information. U.S. National Library of Medicine, Feb. 2005. Web. 24 May 2012.
Utegaard, Erica. "Health Psychology Home Page." Health Psychology Home Page. Web. 23 May 2012.



I am amazed at all the different health benefits of aromatherapy! Reading this post reminds me of back when I lived with my parents in high school. Every time I got sick or stressed, my mom would make me chamomile and jasmine tea to help calm my body down. Even though they are not the actual oils, I am now curious to find out whether such teas correlate with the essential oils of chamomile and tea - since they seem to have similar scents to the nose. My parents also used to boil ginger in a pot of water for me to sniff to "open up my nasal cavity" when I got sick, which then enabled me to smell better. Does aromatherapy span to include such home remedies when it comes to health benefits, or is it only considered "aromatherapy" when essential oils, specifically, are used? What about air fresheners that have similar scents? I have a lavender air freshener in my room and it always feels refreshing to walk into/wake up to it, but I am wondering whether the health benefits are actually different from using essential oils instead, even if the scents are similar.
ReplyDelete-Sharon
I loved that you put in a study. It makes my assumptions about lavender and its aromatherapy properties valid. There are a couple things that I want to point out that I enjoyed about this post:
ReplyDelete1.) The chart that you posted up is definitely going to be printed out and pasted on my wall. I am a big fan of using different herbal things for my body. I guess I am a firm believer of eastern herbal medicine but this chart states many of the different ways that each oil can treat different problems. I feel like many people including myself are so fond of these types of therapy because theres no real harm of trying it. And if it works you are thrilled. Its a solution with little risk to no risk, therefore whether the positive effects are actually effective or not, there really is no loss.
2.) The picture of the Johnson and Johnson lavender lotion is the exact lotion I buy now-a-days for my lavender lotion go-to product. I almost sounds like a spokes person, but this really helps to keep me calm and relaxed, and if it doesn't for you in that way, it smells great and keeps my skin super soft. On another plus side, it's super cheap: comparing it to a $20 bottle from crabtree and evelyn, this $3 bottle is a steal!
My lasting words for anyone who reads this: go buy the Johnson and johnson lotion!
I agree with Annie, I am going to save that chart and reference it next time I go to the health food store! I knew that certain essential oils and herbs were beneficial to the body and mind for various reasons, but I really had no idea how many are out there! I don't understand why more people are not into alternative medicine and therapy practices. This kind of information and education is so interesting to me! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYour post and Sharon's comment reminded me of how my grandmother used to boil eucalyptus leaves in a pot, put a towel over my head and make me inhale the steam when I was sick to open my sinuses. I really find your post to be significant because it seems like aromatherapy is effectively permeating into consumer consumption as well as mainstream medicine and pharmaceuticals.It makes complete sense that their would be health benefits to aromatherapy specifically because of the direct interaction between the nose and the limbic system. I wonder if as we begin to see the use of essential oil in mainstream medicine grow if one day pharmaceutical companies will be using oils like lavender more of their medications specifically those of anxiety and depression. The health benefits seems so well documented that it reminds me of other kinds of alternative medicine like yoga and meditation and the health benefits they carry but how they are still viewed as novel practices although that it changing. You also write about the antiseptic qualities of essential oils and It makes me wonder if hospitals consider using them as cleansers as well as ways to soothe patients? After thinking about the use in hospitals I thought about how Hospitals don't usually favor smells and attempt to neutralize and deodarize. Somehow it brought me to the topic of allergies to essential oils. Can they cause allergic reactions? Are there people who are unable to use them because of unwanted results?
ReplyDeleteThis section on the health benefits of aromatherapy was enjoyable to read. All the information drawn from studies and providing graphs made the section even stronger. Reading about aromatherapy and how it works in different situations and on different levels was very interesting. How the oils are affective, different ways to apply them were all well developed and backed up by other researches. The table showing different essential oils was is very helpful in understanding the concept in my opinion. I have always heard these names but never really knew the descriptions, use , and their affects. This table clearly covers all this information. Additionally I have never thought of aromatherapy being taken orally. Even though I have taken cough drops and syrups, I never thought that they would contain these oils. What was kind of confusing for me here was when the affects of aromatherapy, scent and oils are discussed. I'm confused, do they have an effect on us? or do they not? for example does a body lotion with the scent of chamomile help relax people if they put it on their skin? Overall interesting section.
ReplyDeleteI had never really though about essential oils actually playing a role in medicine, but as it turns out I have probably consumed different essential oils through either cough drops or other over the counter cold remedies. One of the things I am wondering is if the essential oils help because of some type of mental trigger or if they are helpful because our body absorbs them creating a healing power in that regard. I personally have a bad habit of getting sinus infections simply because my sinuses do not always work properly when I have a mild cold. You mentioned that essential oils and aromatherapy can help relieve inflammation. I'm wondering if you came across anything that suggested it would be a good treatment for your nose and sinuses? I'm definitely going to look into that in the future as another alternative.
ReplyDeleteI never thought that essential oils and aromatherapy could also be applied to medicine. I remember in my family how we used this green medicated oil whenever I had an injury or some type of pain. The smell of the oil was intensely strong and often times, my eyes watered because of it. Scent as we have discovered, is a highly subjective and fluid experience. With scent marketing, we discussed how overwhelming smells can be viewed as a negative, unpleasant experience. What I also wonder, then, is whether the degree of intensity of an essential oil, like lavender, has an effect on our state of mind. Would a stronger smell of lavender make us feel even more so relaxed, or could the goal of relaxation backfire against us? Is it possible for us to not enjoy the "smell of relaxation" and healing that lavender gives? The uncertainty of this highlights just how mystifying scent is as a whole. With the medicated oil that I used, although the smell was strong, it was fragrant and the soothingness of it and knowing it was supposed to relieve the pain most likely make the oil work for me.
ReplyDelete